What is a ThinkIn?
Our ThinkIns are not panel events. They’re live and unscripted online conversations where you can have your say. Join us and our expert guests to investigate the stories that matter. We call it organised listening, and it’s at the heart of what we do.
How do I join?
ThinkIns are for our members. If you’re not a member already, you can take out a free trial. Once you’re logged in as a member, the Book now button will unlock free Eventbrite tickets.
How do I find my Eventbrite booking code?
Sometimes Eventbrite can get confused, and ask for a booking code. If that happens, look for the “EVENT ACCESS CODE” in My Tortoise.
How ThinkIns work
Our ThinkIns use Zoom. It’s an online video conferencing and group messaging platform that means you can see the editors and guests talking to one another live and make a point, by typing in the chat function or by talking on your webcam.
As always, if you get stuck send us a message through the app or to email@example.com.
Get yourself set up
It’s a good idea to download the application onto your laptop or phone before the ThinkIn starts.
If you’re using your mobile phone, it’s easy. Just visit the App Store or Google Play store and download ZOOM Cloud Meetings free of charge.
If you’re using a laptop, it’s a bit more fiddly. Here goes…
- Go to www.zoom.us/download
- Click Download under ‘Zoom Client for Meetings’
- If it doesn’t pop up automatically, visit the downloads folder on your computer and click on Zoom to install the programme. Click Continue through each stage to complete the installation
Register for the Digital ThinkIn
You’ll find upcoming Digital ThinkIns listed in the Tortoise app. Register for any ThinkIn you’d like to join in the same way as usual, by clicking on the “Book now” button.
Join the conversation in Zoom
We’ll mail the link out to you in your booking confirmation email. When the ThinkIn is due to start, click through on that link to open Zoom and join. If you join early, you’ll go into a waiting room. We’ll open the ThinkIn a few minutes before its scheduled start time to give you a chance to see the other members who are taking part.
Hints and tips
- Remember to enter your full (real) name so that the editor can introduce you if you’d like to contribute.
- Your microphone will be automatically muted when you join. This makes it easier to hear what’s going on.
- You can choose to have your webcam switched on or off. If you’d like to share a point of view in writing, you can type it in the chat function.
- You can also ‘raise your hand’ if you’d like to speak. The editor will bring you in when s/he can.
Code of conduct
If everybody agreed about everything, there’d be no point in having a ThinkIn. All opinions, even those that are ‘unpopular’, are treated with courtesy and respect.