Benjamin Netanyahu is under renewed pressure from a US administration deeply concerned about the operation he has ordered in Rafah. Secretary of State Antony Blinken has complained about Israel’s lack of a post-war plan and warned that Hamas is “coming back” in other parts of Gaza.
So what? It is. Israeli troops are fighting again in Jabalia in northern Gaza, where they say Hamas is reassembling its units seven months into the war.
An estimated 300,000 Palestinians have meanwhile fled Rafah despite having no safe place to go. The UN says the city is on the brink of famine. Desperately needed aid trucks are being held up at the border crossing seized by Israel’s military last week and its main hospital has been evacuated.
Options. Netanyahu’s consciously Churchillian rhetoric about “standing alone” in the face of international pressure cannot conceal the tough choice he has to make. His options include:
Risks. The third is the least likely. The first is made more likely by pressure from the right. Without an assault on Rafah, Netanyahu’s two most extreme ministers, Itamar Ben Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich, might leave his coalition, precipitating the election he fears.
But there are countervailing factors:
Odds. Hopes of a ceasefire flickered briefly last Monday when Hamas announced its acceptance of a hostage release deal brokered with US help by Egypt and Qatar, subsequently rejected by Israel.
But it’s doubtful that further military pressure will force Hamas to compromise on its main differences with Israel over the meaning of “sustainable calm” in the deal’s draft text – whether it means an end to the war, as Hamas’s leader Yahya Sinwar wants and Netanyahu doesn’t.
Known unknowns:
Israel’s military chief of staff Herzl Halevi reportedly told Netanyahu at the weekend that as long as there was no diplomatic process to develop a new governing body in the Strip “we’ll have to launch campaigns again and again in other places to dismantle Hamas’s infrastructure. It will be a Sisyphean task.”
Such realism seems a far cry from Netanyhau’s forecast of “total victory”.
What’s more… Informed estimates suggest that fewer than half the 132 hostages may now be alive.