Why are we here?
The world needs a different kind of newsroom. Not chasing breaking news, but revealing what’s driving it. Built to cover stories not as they happen, but when they’re ready. Where everyone has a seat at the table. We’re here to build a journalism that lasts. A business model that’s responsible and sustainable.
What is the Tortoise Intelligence team?
The Intelligence team produces index and data projects to make complex data clear, explainable and comparable. You can see examples of our work here.
What’s my personal contribution?
You will be working on Tortoise’s Responsibility100 Index, a pioneering ranking of the FTSE 100 that investigates companies’ performance on social and environmental indicators. You will also be working on The Better Food Index, a ranking of the 30 largest food companies in the UK based on sustainability performance.
As a researcher on these large-scale ongoing data projects, your role will involve researching and investigating these companies, as well as liaising with them directly about their data.
We are looking for a researcher who is passionate about holding companies to account for their sustainability performance, with prior experience and understanding of ESG and ideally knowledge of food sustainability.
What are my responsibilities & accountabilities?
- Identify and collect detailed data from annual reports, government strategies and other source material.
- Read and record literature and references on corporate & food sustainability, ESG, Green investment and other related topics.
- Respond to specific research questions.
- Liaise with FTSE 100 companies about their sustainability performance.
- Work in a team to respond to and resolve specific research questions.
- Summarise transcripts and interview notes from conversations with sustainability experts.
- Analyse data from the Index (primarily using Google Sheets) and contribute towards our editorial output (newsletters, podcasts and events).
- Support the writing of methodology documents, reports, and key results pieces.
What do I know? Essential knowledge, skills and experience.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Great copywriting skills.
- Clear, diligent referencing.
- Working knowledge of key sustainability issues and themes.
- Confidence handling large data sets.
- Some data analysis and data visualisation skills (Flourish or similar tools).
- Curiosity about new topics and willingness to dig deeper into a wide range of topics.
Desirable knowledge, skills and experience.
- Interest in current affairs, sustainability, technology, economics, business and other social forces that are shaping the world.
- Experience leading and scoping projects.
- Experience (or interest in) working in a newsroom or media startup.
- Experience with Google Sheets and Python.
- 1+ years of experience working in sustainability.
What do I show? Essential behaviours.
- Proactive problem solver.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a team.
- Growth-mindset and willing to learn new things.
- Clear communicator.
- Ability to deliver work at pace and manage multiple priorities at once.
- Adaptable and flexible in approach.
- A pleasure to work with: positive, enthusiastic and open to ideas.
Salary & benefits
- Competitive salary & bonus (team and individual)
- Snacks on tap and regular treats including free lunches, workout classes and after-work socials
Working with us
We are a new and progressive business with a diverse, motivated team; a mix of veterans and young people starting out on their careers. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees, and we welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, colour, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.
How to apply
Send a CV and a one page cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “APPLICATION: Researcher (ESG)” by 30 May 2023.