Why are we here?
The world needs a different kind of newsroom. Not chasing breaking news, but revealing what’s driving it. Built to cover stories not as they happen, but when they’re ready. Where everyone has a seat at the table. We’re here to build a journalism that lasts. A business model that’s responsible and sustainable.
What’s my personal contribution?
You will help to produce and publish data-driven and/or visual journalism projects.
What are my responsibilities & accountabilities?
In collaboration with the wider Editorial team and reporting to the Data Editor, you will:
- Research, pitch, report and produce your own pieces of original data-driven and/or visual journalism
- Work on larger-scale data journalism projects
- Produce graphics for Sensemaker newsletters
- Perform data research and analysis tasks for other reporters and editors
What do I know? Useful knowledge, skills and experience.
- Experience analysing datasets and using data to find stories.
- Strong numeracy skills, including advanced knowledge of Google Sheets/Excel.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to write clear, concise copy to a deadline.
- Some journalism (or journalism-adjacent) experience is strongly preferred.
- Some experience visualising data (e.g. with Flourish or Datawrapper).
- Some knowledge of a statistical programming language (e.g. Python or R) is preferred but not required.
- Any experience with version control (e.g. Git and Github) would be a bonus.
What do I show? Essential behaviours.
- Team player who likes collaborating with your colleagues.
- Eager to learn new things and tend to pick up skills quickly.
- Interested in the world around you and consume news from a diversity of sources.
- An eye for detail and well-organised.
- Love being given a problem to solve.
Salary & benefits
- Competitive salary & bonus (team and individual)
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays
- Bunk off birthday (because who wants to work on their birthday?)
- Company pension
- Private healthcare
- Group Life Assurance
- Snacks on tap and regular treats including free lunches, workout classes and after-work socials
- Tortoisestock – once a year we all head out to the countryside for a weekend of fun and plotting
How to apply
Send a CV and a short cover note to email@example.com by 11 June 2023.
Please note that you must already have the right to work in the UK and that visa sponsorship is not available for this role.