Why are we here?
Now more than ever it’s important to have calm, clear journalism you can trust. We’re not chasing breaking news, but revealing what’s driving it. Built to cover stories not as they happen, but when they’re ready. Tortoise sets out to bring people together to make sense of the world. We’re here to build journalism that lasts.
We are also building content, events and market intelligence business for C-suite executives and industry professionals. Our Responsible Business Forums attract some of the highest profile CEOs who run the world’s most influential organisations. Supported by world-class industry research, our members pay to access peer-to-peer discussion forums, networking dinners, roundtables and newsletters. We are quickly building a reputation for providing distinctive and influential events and content that attract extremely high calibre members. At Tortoise, we work with partners to build bespoke products and communications solutions built on Tortoise’s code of journalistic values of organised listening, independence and openness.
In addition, our B2C offering drives scale through our audio content and a smaller but highly desirable audience through our newsletter content.
What’s my personal contribution?
The Business Editor will deliver exclusive business stories and investigations to publish across our newsletters and audio content. You will write our specialist Boardroom Sensemaker aimed at the top executives at Britain’s biggest companies and help chair our business forums. Day-to-day your role will be varied, ranging from programming and chairing an expert panel to writing and recording a podcast script.
What are my responsibilities & accountabilities?
- Take the lead in reporting and writing our Boardroom Sensemaker.
- Contribute to other Tortoise newsletters such as the Daily Sensemaker or Net Zero.
- Help chair and programme the Responsible Business Forums.
- Regularly contribute to the Responsible Business Forum emails.
- Report business stories for our investigative podcasts.
- Work with our data and index team developing editorial content.
- Take part in Tortoise member events such as ThinkIns.
What do I know? Useful knowledge, skills and experience.
- Proven track record of delivering exclusive, agenda-setting business stories.
- At least five years’ experience in business journalism.
- The contacts and ideas to deliver stories that will drive the news, rather than following daily headlines.
- Some podcast experience useful but not essential.
- Strong writing ability – both to explain business stories to a general audience and filter out the noise for specialist readers.
What do I show? Essential behaviours.
- Empathy with the mission of the journalism.
- A sound knowledge of current affairs.
- Excited about being in a high growth start-up environment and being able to think strategically while balancing day-to-day practical needs and goals.
- Gravitas and presence – a confident communicator with excellent verbal and written skills.
- Collaborative mindset – experience working in a creative environment with multiple teams balancing different priorities (commercial and delivery).
- Experience working closely with Exec-level stakeholders.
- Able to keep track of multiple projects at one time.
- Highly organised – able to keep track of progress across the business.
Salary & benefits
- Competitive salary & bonus (team and individual)
- 28 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays
- Bunk off birthday (because who wants to work on their birthday?)
- Company pension
- Private healthcare
- Group Life Assurance
- Snacks on tap and regular treats including free lunches, massages and after-work socials
- Tortoisestock – once a year we all head out to the countryside for a weekend of fun and plotting
How to apply
Send a CV and a story idea to firstname.lastname@example.org.