Senior Development Producer
Permanent position – 5 days a week
Whatâ€™s the job?
Tortoise is expanding. We are looking for an experienced Development Producer to work across our slate of podcasts with a particular focus on developing ideas for narrative, investigative series.
Why are we here?
Weâ€™re building a different type of newsroom, for a slower, wiser news. Now more than ever itâ€™s important to have calm, clear journalism you can trust. Weâ€™re not chasing breaking news, but revealing whatâ€™s driving it. Built to cover stories not as they happen, but when theyâ€™re ready. Where everyone has a seat at the table. Tortoise sets out to bring people together to try and make sense of the world. Weâ€™re here to build journalism that lasts.
What are my responsibilities & accountabilities?
- Work with the editors of Tortoise to develop a range of podcasts including limited investigative narrative series; episodes of Tortoiseâ€™s weekly Slow Newscast; and other always-on podcasts.
- Generate new ideas for development which will appeal to our predominantly UK podcast audience, with an eye for future IP potential.
- Turn complex journalistic investigations into a compelling narrative series.
- Produce well-researched, crafted and compelling treatments.
- Identify and develop new talent.
- Manage and direct potential contributors.
- Set production schedules, timelines and budgets.
- Balance several projects at once.
- Be the main point of contact with our external TV & Film development partner, working with them on ideas and development materials.
What are we looking for?
- A minimum of 3 years as a producer in narrative audio, film/television development, or documentary production.
- A successful track record in taking original ideas through to commission and production.
- Proven experience in turning complex journalistic investigations into compelling narrative series.
- A demonstrable interest in news, current affairs and investigative journalism.
- A demonstrable creative approach to storytelling with sound.
- Experience creating draft budgets for productions.
- Experience creating draft production schedules.
- A sophisticated understanding of the UK podcast market, creative trends and the podcast landscape.
- Experience of dealing with third parties in developing ideas and stories.
- Fluent communication and writing skills.
- A team player who thrives in a collaborative environment.
- Strong organisational and project management skill.
Salary and benefits
- Competitive salary + bonus (team and individual)
- 28 daysâ€™ paid holidays plus bank holidays
- Bunk off birthday (because who wants to work on their birthday?)
- Company pension
- Private healthcare
- Group Life Assurance
- Snacks on tap and regular treats including free lunches, massages and after-work socials
- Tortoisestock â€“ once a year we all head out to the countryside for a weekend of fun and plotting
Where do I work?
Tortoise Head Office, London (22 Berners Street) plus some flexibility to work remotely.
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.