Why are we here?
We’re building a different type of newsroom, for a slower, wiser news. Now more than ever it’s important to have calm, clear journalism you can trust. We’re not chasing breaking news but revealing what’s driving it. Built to cover stories not as they happen, but when they’re ready. Where everyone has a seat at the table. Tortoise sets out to bring people together to try and make sense of the world. We’re here to build journalism that lasts.
What’s my personal contribution?
You will be responsible for looking after our beautiful new newsroom in the heart of the West End and making sure it provides a vibrant and happy home for all of Team Tortoise. In addition, you will provide support to our Head of Operations and HR.
What are my responsibilities & accountabilities?
- You will be the first point of contact with our partners FORA who provide the managed workspace for our newsroom, and be responsible for nurturing this relationship
- All H&S matters for the newsroom (and our home working Tortoises) including conducting risk assessments, arranging training and conducting on-boarding tours for new starters
- All day-to-day newsroom queries such as meeting room bookings, meeting room tech, arranging couriers, air con levels, cleaning, etc
- Collecting and sorting post (newsroom and our registered office)
- Managing our news (online/print) subscriptions
- Managing the business phone contract
- Assisting with travel bookings for the team
- Fulfillment of our Tortoise shop orders
- Setting up and managing a work experience program
- Monitoring the Opportunities inbox and supporting the Head of Operations and HR with recruitment
- Data Protection for filed records
- Supporting our Carbon Net Zero program
- Arranging office events (in conjunction with our Head of Events and Founder’s EAs)
What do I know? Useful knowledge, skills and experience
- Minimum of 2 years experience in an office management role
- Knowledge of H&S requirements and regulations
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills
- Strong administrative skills and a level of tech savvy
- Familiarity with G-Suite and previous experience working in a start-up environment would be advantageous.
What do I show? Essential behaviours
- Optimistic, can-do attitude. No job is too big or too small
- Adaptability – we are a start-up so things change a lot
- A pleasure to work with; positive, enthusiastic and open to ideas.
- Go-getter attitude, able to start projects autonomously, chase others to get what is needed and work across teams
- Highly organised with excellent attention to detail- takes pride in maintaining high standards
What we’re offering
- Competitive salary
- 28 days holiday plus bank holidays
- Private Healthcare
- Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Birthday off work
- Free snacks and drinks in the newsroom
To apply please send a CV and a short cover note to Emma Harley (email@example.com) ASAP.