Senior Event Manager, Forums
Full- or part-time position
Whatâ€™s the job?
Senior Event Manager, Forums
Where do I work?
Tortoise Head Office, London (22 Berners Street) plus some flexibility to work remotely 1-2 days per week (pending Covid regulations).
Why are we here?
Weâ€™re building a different type of newsroom, for a slower, wiser news. Now more than ever itâ€™s important to have calm, clear journalism you can trust. Weâ€™re not chasing breaking news, but revealing whatâ€™s driving it. Built to cover stories not as they happen, but when theyâ€™re ready. Where everyone has a seat at the table. Tortoise sets out to bring people together to try and make sense of the world. We’re here to build journalism that lasts.
At Tortoise, we donâ€™t take ads. We donâ€™t chase eyeballs or sell data. Instead, we work with partners to build bespoke products and communications solutions built on Tortoiseâ€™s code of journalistic values of organised listening, independence and openness.
We work with responsible and courageous leaders across all industries willing to back a new form of journalism, enable the public debate, share their expertise and communicate their point of view.
Whatâ€™s my personal contribution?
We are building membership-driven business networks for C-suite executives and policy leaders. Our business forums are already attracting the highest profile CEOs who run some the world’s most influential organisations. Supported by world-class industry research, our members pay to access peer-to-peer discussion forums, networking dinners and roundtables. We are quickly building a reputation for providing distinctive and influential events that attract extremely high calibre members – the high-touch, executive experience we deliver is fundamental to maintaining this reputation.
Your role will be to lead event delivery and logistics from start to finish across a portfolio of in-person CEO Forums held at the Rothschild estate in Waddesdon, regular digital roundtables, networking dinners and pop-up events at key global meetings such as Davos and COP. Our events range in size, but all require a sophistication and eye-for-detail that we have become known for. As we grow we may also need to identify new venues and new ways of delivering our forums, which may include international opportunities, and you will play a significant role in scoping and delivering on this ambition.
Beyond the Forums, Tortoise also has an established and growing events business, most recently launching KITE Festival in Oxfordshire which received stellar reviews in national titles such as the Guardian and Telegraph. There will undoubtedly be lots of opportunities to support our wider events team as we grow these events too.
What are my responsibilities & accountabilities?
- Event creation and delivery: developing quality events that create a style and experience synonymous with Tortoiseâ€™s brand, as well as managing the delivery teams on the day to ensure a seamless execution.
- Project Management: Working with multiple stakeholders, internal and external, to ensure that key delivery milestones are achieved and problems or delays are proactively and addressed.
- Managing Budgets: Ensuring costs are controlled with suppliers and negotiated without compromising quality. Preparation and maintenance of realistic forecasts and budgets. Checking all event related invoices for processing. Submitting complete and accurate accounts.
- Speaker and AV/tech management: providing comprehensive support to our speakers and editorial team throughout the events, taking ownership of running orders and working closely with our expert AV teams to ensure that our digital, hybrid and in-person events are well-executed
- Suppliers: reviewing, managing and negotiating contracts with venues and event vendors, serving as single point of contact and leveraging cost-savings.
What do I show? Essential behaviours
- 5+ years of relevant event management experience at a publisher, event agency or in-house events team (B2B experience preferable but not essential)
- A creative eye and experience working with design teams on stage design, print and digital event materials
- Familiarity with audio-visual and event-tech systems used to deliver physical, hybrid and digital events
- Extremely organised and good at multitasking with experience of working on multiple events concurrently, excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- Excellent communication skills â€“ able to deal with people at all levels in a confident and constructive way.
- A proactive approach with a willingness to show initiative, problem-solve and and take responsibility
- Fluency with common softwares such as excel, word and powerpoint, as well as shared services such as Google Docs
- A team player who is good at building relationships and building trust with colleagues
- An interest and understanding of current affairs and business
Salary and benefits
- Competitive salary + bonus (team and individual)
- 28 days annual leave
- Private Healthcare
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to Chris Howells (email@example.com) by 12 August.