Head of People
Whatâ€™s the job?
Head of People
Where do I work?
Tortoise Head Office, London (22 Berners Street) plus some flexibility to work remotely 1 day per week.
Why are we here?
Weâ€™re building a different type of newsroom, for slower, wiser news. Now more than ever itâ€™s important to have calm, clear journalism you can trust. Weâ€™re not chasing breaking news but revealing whatâ€™s driving it. Built to cover stories not as they happen, but when theyâ€™re ready. Where everyone has a seat at the table. Tortoise sets out to bring people together to try and make sense of the world. We’re here to build journalism that lasts.
Whatâ€™s my personal contribution?
To help Tortoise become a standout employer and drive a rewarding and high-performance culture that supports team member growth, Tortoise business needs and long-term strategic goals. This will include the development and implementation of a supportive people strategy that provides a comprehensive range of services and activities, promotes diversity and helps acquire and retain the best talent in the industry.
What are my responsibilities & accountabilities?
- Development of our People strategy and related policies/ways of working that; support our culture, reflect our mission and values and ensure that diversity is firmly embedded and valued within the business.
- Identify, develop and implement innovative HR projects that; improve team member engagement, organisational performance and support business strategic goals.
- Lead and deliver a comprehensive HR service through a range of projects and activities in areas such as: team planning and recruitment; on-boarding; performance management; reward and recognition; talent development, succession planning; well- being and employment law compliance.
- Develop an effective performance management system ensuring that organisational values/objectives are translated into measurable competencies, behaviours and objectives which is supported by a standardised and robust appraisal program.
- Work with team leaders to create a talent pipeline and a bank of candidates to aid with direct resourcing.
- Provide support, coaching and advice to managers and staff on all human resource issues.
- Develop and implement creative and meaningful learning and development initiatives for team members.
- Design and implementation of our internal communication strategy and tools.
What do I show? Essential behaviours
- A people first outlook to ensure culture and people development are at the heart of the business.
- Self-confidence and assertiveness but balanced with kindness, understanding and empathy.
- Strong work ethic and integrity.
- Highly motivated and proactive.
- A collaborative team player.
- Calm under pressure.
- Enjoys working at a fast pace and isn’t fazed by unexpected changes and setbacks.
Experience & skills
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as a People/HR Manager or Head of
- CIPD qualified (level 5 minimum)
- Have done hiring for hard to fill, niche roles
- Experience of working within a generalist HR function at mid-senior level
- Experience of developing and implementing a wide range of projects and activities in all areas of HR including: organisational culture and design
- Experience of developing and implementing a wide range of projects and activities in all areas of HR including: organisational culture and design, recruitment and talent planning, earning and development, performance management, compensation and reward, team member engagement.
- Sound knowledge of current HR legislation.
- Happy to roll up sleeves and get stuck in around operational HR delivery whilst also being able to think strategically.
- Creative thinking in problem solving.
- Excellent people skills and ability to influence, build relationships and communicate effectively at all levels.
- Excellent empathy and listening skills to understand others’ opinions and differing needs and viewpoints.
- Tact and ability to identify and manage conflict.
Salary and benefits
- Competitive salary + bonus (team and individual)
- 28 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Private Healthcare
- Group Income Protection
- Group Life Assurance
- Cycle to work scheme
- Interest free season ticket loans
- Birthday off work
- Free snacks and drinks in the newsroom
To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to Emma Harley (email@example.com) by 24 November 2022.