Tortoise and Sky News have worked together to produce an interactive tool that shows how money flows through our political system.
The project involved bringing together the Register of Members’ Financial Interests, party political donation data from the Electoral Commission, and the Register of All-Party Parliamentary Groups (APPGs).
In collecting and verifying that data, we found plenty of overlaps, mismatches and errors.
But mistakes have also been spotted since publication which we have acted to correct and clarify promptly.
- A £6,000 donation made on 8 June to the Cycling and Walking APPG was incorrectly attributed to the Kingdom of Bahrain. It has now been corrected to the embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
- A £2,300 and a £800 gift to Craig Tracey MP was incorrectly attributed to The Royal and Ancient Golf Club and Parliamentarians for Global Action respectively. This has now been corrected to R & A Championships and PGA European Tour.
- We have added the following sentence to the tool: “MPs are required to report both their own direct financial interests and any donations or other payments that are received by their local constituency party to support their work or election.”
- We have updated the language in the tool to make it clearer that it includes donations, gifts, benefits, the provision of services (including those ultimately funded by others) and other payments.
- We have re-ordered the MP search tool to appear alphabetically.
- On Wednesday 18 January links to a spreadsheet containing the text of each original register entry were added to the tool, giving the user easy access to any contextual information provided by MPs or APPGs in their original declarations.