The cultural artefacts that changed the world around them
The Godfather: Part III.
Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.
You know what they say: the third part is always the best.
Actually, sorry, they don’t say that, do they? But, no matter, we shall carry on undaunted – with the third selection of Tortoise’s Slow Reviews.
If you’ve come across either of the two previous parts, then you should know the drill. If not, you can catch up here and here. The short version is that Slow Reviews are reviews of films, books, albums, games and other pop cultural artefacts that weren’t just good – in fact, theoretically, they could even be bad – but they did change the culture around them. They have a before. And they have an after.
This third set of Slow Reviews will continue much like the others: four on the first day, alongside this introduction, then five a day for the rest of the week. You’ll be able to keep track of them through the contents list below.
As before, some of the writers are professional critics, some are unprofessional reprobates – and some are Tortoise members. If you would like to submit a Slow Review for consideration for a future series, then please follow the instructions here.
But there are some differences between Slow Reviews: Part III and the previous parts. We’ve added a new category – Digital – for the websites, platforms, memes and assorted online innovations that have left their mark upon the wider culture.
And we’re also trying out Slow Reviews in audio form. Starting with Colin Grant’s review of The Harder They Come, some of the reviews will also have the option of listening to their authors reading them, interspersed with music and clips to really set the mood. Please do let us know what you think.
Anyway, enough preamble. As Louis Gossett Jr. says in Jaws 3-D, “Here come my pride and joy.”
- The Harder They Come Colin Grant
- The like button Mia Levitin
- Star Trek: The Original Series Scott Jordan Harris
- Punchdrunk Georgia Heneage
- The X-Files Matthew Sweet
- Kid A Pete Paphides
- Toy Story Ellen Halliday
- Pure Heroine Elle Hunt
- Wolf Warrior 2 James Oliver
- White Blood Cells Megan Nolan
- Big Little Lies Namitha Aravind
- Nude Descending a Staircase (No.2) Sally Grant
- Raw Power Matthew d’Ancona
- Final Fantasy VII Nadia Oxford
- Bryter Layter Pete Paphides
- America’s Next Top Model Ash Sarkar
- Shadows Peter Hoskin
- The Naked Civil Servant Dickie Beau
- Persepolis Nathania Gilson
- Friday Sarah Manavis
- RuPaul’s Drag Race Kiri Pritchard-McLean
- Fear and Loathing: On The Campaign Trail ’72 James Wilson
- Amar Akbar Anthony Meenakshi Shedde
- Call the Midwife Luce Brett
Illustrations by Phillipa Warden Hill